7.14.2010

Hi! I'm in my dorm room in Townsville! Later I'll write later about this past week's activites, they've been amazing and numerous. Right now though, I want to acknowledge Uncle Bob, because I haven't had the chance yet.

For those of you who don't know, last week my Uncle Bob had a sudden heart attack and passed away. I found out on my layover in San Franscico, thankfully my parents were able to contact me before my flight to Sydney. I felt like I really didn't have time to properly make a decision about whether to still continue on or not, so I went ahead and got on the flight to Sydney. The moment the plane moved away from the gate was very emotional for me as it all hit me, and I realized I wouldn't get to say good-bye at the funeral, that I wouldn't be there for my family, and my family wouldn't be there for me (in person, that is). It has felt strange all week because I didn't actually know when the funeral was until it was over, and I haven't been able to be in any real contact back home all this past week. I've been trying to make the most of it, and still enjoy and appreciate this week because I know that is what Uncle Bob would want.

I was thinking about Uncle Bob, and the main memory that kept popping into my head was of him pushing me on the swing and playing with me when I was little. It just impressed on me how much he loved his kids and neices and nephews. It made me stop and really appreciate all the love and sense of family my aunts and uncles have given me. I am so thankful I was able to see Uncle Bob on the 3rd and give him one last hug. I miss him a lot, and I can't wait to see him again some day.

Scallion family, you have been in my thoughts constantly, I love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment